TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Leak Down Test results. I'm happy. Come burst my Bubble...
People Seeking Info

Subject Leak Down Test results. I'm happy. Come burst my Bubble...

Posted by LivinTheDream on April 01, 2015 at 9:13 PM
  This message has been viewed 272 times.

Message Ok so there is a previous post about me seeing a mystery liquid atop my valves so decided to do a leak down test and radiator pressure test to confirm its not coolant. Turns out it must be Fuel because coolant system held pressure perfectly and the leak down test resulted in no hissing from the coolant passages. Anyway thats just for future searchers.

Ok so I have all the camshafts removed as well as radiator and coolant hard pipes. Thus no need to find compression stroke and to test if there was leakage at the head gasket into the coolant passages I had to listen to the coolant ports at the front of the block.
Overview:
-The car has not been started in roughly 2 weeks (leak down test are usually done with warm engine)
-I used 3 different gauges to confirm results
-All test were done with pistons as TDC (top dead center)
-Trans was put in 5th gear to prevent crank from moving when applying pressure
-Engine is pulled down for leaky valve seals so cylinder chambers were a little wet with oil
-Motor has roughly 100,000miles on original rings and valves

Results:
Cylinder 1 =7% leakage (7psi loss from 100psi)
Cylinder 2 =17% leakage (17psi loss from 100psi)
Cylinder 3 =6% leakage (6psi loss from 100psi)
Cylinder 4 =12% leakage (12psi loss from 100psi)
Cylinder 5 =7% leakage
Cylinder 6 =11%leakage

-11psi or % max difference between any two cylinders
-Cylinder 6 was the only one that I could actually hear hair coming from the intake valves but I could see some faint seeping of air by a few of the other valves due to the slight movement of the moisture on them (yet I could not hear this)
-All cylinders seem to be leaking through rings
-Coolant passages were completely silent on all cylinder test
-Exhaust was completely silent on all cylinder test
-The initial results was 1-2% less on each but after constant pressure to the cylinder for roughly 1 minute I assume the oil blowing from around the rings allowed the pressure to rise.

All in all I think this is pretty good results. Especially with a cold engine. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

"torque gets you off the line...& hp gets you over the line." -
TTKeeper

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.